The most recent awards from the European funded LEADER Programme and the Cairngorms National Park Authority have just been announced by the Cairngorms Local Action Group following its latest meeting.
- Society of Badenoch and Strathspey Artists were successful in their application for £5,000 to help turn a storage room within the Iona Gallery in Kingussie into a special project room called The Studio. This room will be used for artists’ workshops, small exhibitions and, for part of the year, as a retail outlet for SBSA members arts and craftwork, which will help the sustainability of the Gallery.
- Explore Abernethy in Nethy Bridge has been awarded funding of £2,000 to better promote Explore Abernethy and the ranger walks service. This funding will enable Explore Abernethy to increase awareness and visibility of the visitor centre, the path network and events, through signage and promotion and, as a consequence, attract wider audiences and increase visitor numbers.
- Kingussie and Vicinity Community Council has secured £5,000 towards funding for the “Story of Kingussie”. This project aims to gather oral and written evidence of the history and life of Kingussie, to interpret this evidence and create both a virtual and physical exhibition of the story.
- Ballater & Crathie Community Council was awarded £1,074 to install a squirrel bridge with feeding stations near the gates of Balmoral. This project aims to encourage the squirrels to use the bridge, which will be suspended across the road, to hopefully minimise squirrel casualties.
- Ballater Royal Deeside Ltd has secured £2,475 to help fund a feasibility study to consider the establishment of affordable housing in Ballater.
- Braemar Community Council have been awarded £4,000 to help fund the installation of a visitor noticeboard in the centre of Braemar. This will provide information to visitors and local people on the village and surrounding area.
There are still small amounts of EU funding available. The deadline for applications is 12 October 2012 and it is expected that all funds will be committed by the end of 2012. For more information and project examples visit the website or contact Patricia Methven on tel: 01479 870543 or email [email protected]